If you’re looking for the best marijuana marketing ideas for online dispensaries and retail cannabis stores, you’re in the right place! This article discusses the top 10 marijuana marketing ideas to grow your cannabis or CBD business.
These Are The Best Marijuana Marketing Ideas For Your Cannabis & CBD Business
Does your marketing strategy include practical marijuana marketing ideas, or are you only using social media to promote your cannabis dispensary?
Social media is an integral part of any marijuana marketing plan, but due to stringent content and advertising policies on Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok, it’s best used to create brand awareness and boost product trust – not to increase sales.
Using social media to increase sales is not very effective at all, and it just barley made our list of top 10 marijuana marketing ideas for cannabis dispensaries.
Social media has way too many ridiculous restrictions, as most dispensary owners like yourself are likely very familiar with.
The good news is we have 10 recommended marijuana marketing ideas specifically crafted for cannabis dispensaries to grow and remain competitive.
We have developed a range of marketing ideas for marketing marijuana, encompassing both organic tactics and compliant paid advertising strategies. These approaches can be effectively utilized by dispensaries in North America, as well as in the EU and Asia.
Some of these dispensary marketing tactics include SEO, link-building, content marketing, Google advertising, and programmatic display advertising. For the social media marketing die-hards, we have also included cannabis marketing ideas for Facebook.
So let’s get into it. Read on as we discuss and outline 10 marijuana marketing ideas to help grow your retail cannabis store or online dispensary business.
10 Marijuana Marketing Ideas To Build Your Business
Digital advertising is one of the best ideas for marketing marijuana because digital advertising platforms like Google and Bing attract “bottom of the funnel” potential customers directly to your dispensary website to buy your cannabis products.
Consider this, no one goes to Facebook or Instagram when they want to buy weed. But, they will go to Google to order weed online or find the dispensary closest to them.
The 10 marijuana marketing ideas listed below include tactics that require paid advertising and a few highly-recommended organic marijuana marketing strategies which have no content restrictions.
Let’s get started.
1. Google Advertising
Google Ads offers several benefits for retail cannabis owners in Canada and the USA and is considered a top cannabis marketing strategy to drive transaction-oriented, bottom-of-the-funnel traffic to a dispensary website for online weed purchases.
Our marijuana marketing agency has been successfully managing Google Ad campaigns for THC and CBD products since 2018. Please see our case studies for information and campaign results.
Here are the key advantages of using Google Ads for cannabis marketing:
1. Targeted Reach:
- Google Ads allows cannabis retailers to reach a highly targeted audience by using keywords, demographics, interests, and location-based targeting.
This ensures that the ads are shown to potential customers who are actively searching for cannabis products in specific regions, maximizing the chances of conversion.
2. Compliance with Canadian Laws:
- Google allows cannabis advertising in Canada for licensed retailers, ensuring that the ads are compliant with local regulations.
This helps cannabis owners to advertise their products legally, gaining a competitive advantage.
3. Increased Visibility:
- As Google is the most widely used search engine globally, running ads on this platform significantly increases the dispensary’s online visibility.
It ensures that the business is prominently displayed when potential customers search for cannabis-related keywords, driving relevant traffic to the website.
- Google Ads operates on a pay-per-click (PPC) model, which means retailers only pay when someone clicks on their ad.
This cost-effective approach allows businesses to set budgets according to their needs and measure the return on investment (ROI) accurately.
5. Data-Driven Insights:
- Google Ads provides comprehensive data and analytics, offering valuable insights into the performance of the campaigns.
Retailers can track metrics such as click-through rates (CTR), conversion rates, and user behavior, enabling them to optimize their ad strategies for better results.
6. Immediate Results:
- Unlike some organic marketing tactics, Google Ads deliver immediate results. Once the campaign is set up and approved, ads start showing to the target audience, driving traffic and potential sales right away.
7. Customizable Ad Formats:
- Google Ads offers various ad formats like text ads, display ads, and shopping ads, allowing retailers to create compelling visuals and messages tailored to their target audience, thereby increasing the chances of engagement and conversions.
8. Mobile-Friendly Advertising:
- As a significant portion of internet users access Google through mobile devices, Google Ads ensures that cannabis ads are mobile-friendly, making it easier for users to discover and purchase products while on-the-go.
9. Competitive Advantage:
- By utilizing Google Ads effectively, cannabis retailers can gain a competitive advantage over other businesses that may not be utilizing this platform or digital advertising to its full potential.
10. Measurable Results:
- Google Ads provides real-time data and insights, enabling retailers to monitor and measure the success of their campaigns. This allows for continuous improvement and the ability to refine marketing strategies over time.
2. Bing Advertising/Microsoft Ads
According to this study, Bing/Yahoo (Microsoft Ads) owns 10% of the search market in the United States, Google owns the rest. That’s a huge share of people searching to buy cannabis products online.
If you’re up to trying Google Ads as one of your marijuana marketing ideas, why not split your media budget and run campaigns on Bing search as well?
Here are a few reasons why using Microsoft Ads (Bing Ads) should be on your list of marijuana marketing ideas to promote your dispensary:
1. Bing Search Audience:
- Microsoft Ads allows cannabis retailers to tap into Bing’s substantial search audience.
Bing is the second most popular search engine globally, providing access to a significant user base actively searching for products, including cannabis, thereby expanding the retailer’s reach.
2. Less Competition:
- Compared to Google Ads, Microsoft Ads generally have lower competition in the cannabis industry. This can result in lower cost-per-click (CPC) rates and potentially higher ROI for retailers.
3. Compliance with Canadian Laws:
- Microsoft Ads complies with Canadian advertising regulations for cannabis products, allowing licensed retailers to advertise legally and without the risk of running afoul of local laws.
4. Visual Ad Formats:
- Microsoft Ads supports visually engaging ad formats, such as image extensions and product ads, enabling cannabis retailers to showcase their products attractively and draw the attention of potential customers.
5. Remarketing Opportunities:
- Microsoft Ads provides remarketing capabilities, allowing retailers to target users who have previously visited their website but did not make a purchase. This can help to re-engage potential customers and boost conversion rates.
3. Social Media: Facebook, Instagram & TikTok
Using Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok, organically, can offer several benefits for retail cannabis owners and online dispensaries to build brand awareness, boost product trust, and educate people on the health benefits of cannabis. Here’s a summary of those benefits:
1. Extensive Reach:
- All three platforms have massive user bases, allowing retail cannabis owners and online dispensaries to reach a diverse and widespread audience, including potential customers who might not be actively searching for cannabis products.
2. Visual Content:
- Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok are highly visual platforms, making them ideal for showcasing cannabis products, creating eye-catching content, and promoting the overall brand image.
3. Brand Building:
- Consistent presence on these platforms helps establish a recognizable brand identity and fosters brand loyalty among followers and customers.
4. Engagement and Interaction:
- Social media platforms facilitate direct communication with customers through comments, messages, and live streams. Engaging with the audience fosters a sense of community and helps address customer inquiries promptly.
5. User-Generated Content:
- Encouraging customers to share their experiences with cannabis products can generate user-generated content. This form of social proof can enhance trust and authenticity in the brand.
6. Influencer Marketing:
- Partnering with cannabis influencers on Instagram and TikTok can significantly boost brand awareness and credibility, especially among younger demographics.
7. Educational Content:
- Through posts, stories, and videos, retail cannabis owners and dispensaries can educate their audience about the various health benefits of cannabis, debunk myths, and raise awareness about responsible usage.
8. Competitor Analysis:
- Monitoring competitor activity on these platforms allows cannabis businesses to stay updated on industry trends and discover opportunities for differentiation.
9. Compliance and Regulation:
- By following platform guidelines and industry regulations, businesses can use these platforms responsibly and ethically to promote their products.
- What about advertising? Forget it for now. However, since the legal status of cannabis can change over time, businesses must stay updated on relevant regulations and adapt their social media strategies accordingly.
4. Niche Display Ads on Mantis Ad Network
Mantis bills themselves as local advertising made simple. They offer a digital advertising platform for CBD and marijuana companies to advertise their products and services.
Some of the marijuana marketing ideas Mantis offers on their platform are display ads, native ads, and video ad placements.
The Mantis ad network consists of more than 500 websites with niche audiences seeking cannabis, yoga, music, wellness, and other real-life content. Their pricing for display ads is CPC based.
Clicks can run from $0.99 – $10.00 depending on inventory, competition, and targeting factors. Display ads run on popular niche websites.
Native ads on the Mantis ad network are in the form of Sponsored Content and typically is priced a little lower than display ads. They provide a super opportunity to drive highly qualified, top of the funnel traffic to your website.
As far as video advertising placements go, it’s still in beta but many CBD brands use video ads on the Mantis ad network as a marijuana marketing idea to boost brand awareness.
Pricing for video ads is around $12 per 1000 views, and you only get charged when someone actually views your video advertisement (vCPM).
Read more about Mantis and native advertising platforms here.
5. Outbrain Native Advertising Platform
Outbrain is a popular 3rd party native advertising platform and calls themselves the “world’s leading premium discovery platform”.
They offers cannabis and CBD advertisers programmatic native ad placements on premium websites like CNN, Ha’aretz, Le Parisien, Time, Fortune, ABCNews.
These highly targeted placements use proprietary data to help CBD and marijuana marketers drive results, whether they are looking to generate awareness, engagement, or conversions.
You can use Outbrain’s sponsored content ads to drive traffic to your blog articles to get potential customers into your marketing funnel or send them right to your website store to purchase.
If you’re looking for marijuana marketing ideas to drive high-quality traffic to your site, building your audience exposure and increasing leads and conversions, Outbrain’s ad platform could be for you.
For more information on Outbrain and other native ad platforms, go here.
6. Programmatic Display Advertising & Retargeting
This is an ideal marijuana marketing idea for licensed producers and licensed retail cannabis stores in Canada and the USA!
Programmatic display advertising offers several significant benefits for retail cannabis owners and licensed cannabis producers in building brand awareness, boosting product trust, and educating people on the health benefits of cannabis.
1. Precise Targeting:
- Programmatic display advertising allows cannabis businesses to target specific audiences based on demographics, interests, behavior, and location.
This precision ensures that the brand’s message reaches the right people, increasing the chances of engagement and conversion.
2. Increased Brand Awareness:
- By leveraging programmatic display ads across various websites and platforms, cannabis businesses can significantly expand their reach and visibility.
Consistent exposure to the brand’s message fosters brand recognition and familiarity among potential customers.
3. Enhanced Product Trust:
- Displaying informative and educational content about cannabis products through programmatic ads helps build trust with consumers.
Sharing information about product quality, safety standards, and certifications can alleviate concerns and demonstrate a commitment to transparency.
4. Data-Driven Optimization:
- Programmatic advertising platforms offer robust data analytics that enable businesses to track ad performance in real-time.
This data-driven approach allows for continuous optimization, refining ad placements and targeting to achieve better results and higher returns on investment.
5. Compliance with Regulations:
- The cannabis industry faces strict advertising regulations in many regions. Programmatic display advertising provides better control over where and to whom the ads are displayed, ensuring compliance with local laws and restrictions.
6. Educational Content Delivery:
- Programmatic ads can be used to deliver informative and educational content about the health benefits of cannabis.
By sharing research-based information, cannabis businesses can contribute to public education and address misconceptions about cannabis use.
7. Retargeting Opportunities:
- With programmatic display advertising, businesses can employ retargeting strategies to reach users who have previously shown interest in their products or website. This tactic reinforces brand exposure and can lead to increased conversions.
- Programmatic advertising allows businesses to set specific budgets and bid amounts, ensuring cost-effective campaigns.
With the ability to track and optimize performance, cannabis businesses can allocate their marketing budgets more efficiently.
9. Integration with Multi-Channel Campaigns:
- Programmatic display ads can be seamlessly integrated into broader marketing campaigns, including social media, email, and content marketing.
This cohesive approach strengthens the overall message and increases the impact on the target audience.
- Whether the cannabis business is a small retailer or a large producer, programmatic advertising offers scalability to fit different budgets and marketing objectives.
As the business grows, the programmatic strategy can be expanded accordingly.
By leveraging programmatic display advertising, retail cannabis owners and licensed cannabis producers can overcome advertising challenges, reach their target audience effectively, and establish themselves as trusted brands that prioritize education and product quality in the cannabis industry.
7. Display Ads on Traffic Roots
Traffic Roots is another new digital display ad network to help you execute your marijuana marketing and advertising ideas.
They describe their platform as connecting the gap between digital display advertising and the modern lifestyle.
This ad platform can help your marijuana marketing efforts by reaching more consumers, on reputable websites, and with minimum effort.
The network provides traffic from traditionally unavailable niches through our trusted network of lifestyle branded websites.
Their goal is to increase marijuana marketing success by creating an advertising platform built for niche audiences interested in music, yoga, sports, cannabis, and other modern lifestyles.
Traffic Roots says they have a wide network of websites that offer marijuana advertisers a unique opportunity to connect with high-quality content unavailable with Facebook, Google, and other advertising networks.
They use traditional, web-based campaigns as well as closed-circuit displays, emerging video ads and streaming television markets.
8. Email Marketing
Email marketing is an exceptional marijuana marketing idea for retail cannabis stores and online dispensaries that want to build customer loyalty, increase website traffic, and boost online sales.
Here’s why you should use this tactic in your dispensary marketing strategy:
1. Direct and Personalized Communication:
- Email marketing allows cannabis retailers to communicate directly with their customers in a personalized manner.
Tailored content, product recommendations, and exclusive offers can make customers feel valued, increasing their loyalty to the brand.
2. Building Customer Loyalty:
- Regularly sending engaging and informative content via email can create a sense of community and trust with customers.
By providing valuable insights, educational resources, and updates on new products, retailers can foster long-term relationships, leading to increased customer loyalty.
3. Segmentation and Targeting:
- Email marketing platforms enable retailers to segment their customer base based on preferences, purchase history, and behavior.
This targeted approach ensures that customers receive relevant content and offers, increasing the chances of conversion and customer retention.
4. Exclusive Promotions and Offers:
- Retail cannabis stores can use email marketing to send exclusive promotions, discounts, and early access to new products.
These special offers incentivize customers to make purchases, thus driving online sales.
5. Product Education and Awareness:
- Email campaigns can serve as a means to educate customers about different cannabis products, their benefits, and usage methods. Educated customers are more likely to trust the retailer and make informed purchasing decisions.
6. Abandoned Cart Recovery:
- Through email automation, retailers can send reminders to customers who abandoned their online shopping carts. This tactic encourages customers to complete their purchases, leading to increased online sales.
7. Customer Feedback and Surveys:
- Retailers can use email to gather feedback from customers, allowing them to understand preferences, identify areas of improvement, and refine their offerings accordingly.
This customer-centric approach enhances loyalty and customer satisfaction.
8. Increased Website Traffic:
- Well-crafted email campaigns can include links to the retailer’s website, blog posts, or social media channels, driving traffic to different online platforms and increasing overall brand visibility.
9. Integration with Loyalty Programs:
- Email marketing can seamlessly integrate with existing loyalty programs, rewarding customers for their repeat purchases and encouraging them to continue shopping with the retailer.
10. Tracking and Analytics:
- Email marketing platforms offer valuable insights into campaign performance, allowing retailers to measure the success of their efforts, identify what works best, and make data-driven decisions to improve customer engagement and online sales further.
Leveraging email marketing for retail cannabis stores can be a powerful tool to build lasting customer loyalty, drive website traffic, and boost online sales in a regulated and competitive market.
By providing valuable content, personalized offers, and a seamless customer experience, cannabis retailers can establish a strong online presence and foster meaningful connections with their target audience.
9. Marijuana SEO For Marijuana Websites
A well-executed cannabis dispensary SEO strategy should be at the top of the list of your marijuana marketing ideas.
Dispensary SEO can significantly enhance online visibility, attract targeted traffic, build credibility, and provide a competitive in the rapidly evolving cannabis market.
By investing in SEO, retail cannabis stores and online dispensaries can lay a strong foundation for sustained growth and success in their digital presence.
Here are the key benefits to consider:
1. Increased Online Visibility:
- By implementing SEO best practices, a cannabis dispensary can improve its website’s search engine ranking.
This leads to increased visibility on search engine results pages, making it easier for potential customers to find the dispensary online.
2. Targeted Traffic:
- SEO allows dispensaries to target specific keywords and phrases relevant to their products and services.
As a result, the website attracts more qualified and interested traffic, increasing the likelihood of converting visitors into customers.
3. Brand Credibility and Trust:
- Higher search engine rankings often translate to increased trust and credibility in the eyes of potential customers.
People tend to trust websites that appear on the first page of search results, making SEO a valuable tool for building a reputable brand image.
- SEO is generally more cost-effective in the long run compared to traditional advertising methods. Once a dispensary’s website gains organic visibility, it continues to attract traffic without ongoing expenses for clicks or impressions.
5. Local Search Optimization:
- For retail cannabis stores with physical locations, local SEO can be especially beneficial. Optimizing for local search allows the dispensary to target customers in its vicinity, increasing foot traffic and in-store visits.
6. Competitive Advantage:
- As the cannabis industry becomes more competitive, having a well-optimized website can give a dispensary a competitive edge.
Ranking higher in search results than competitors means more potential customers finding and choosing the dispensary over others.
7. Long-term Sustainability:
- SEO is a sustainable strategy unlike some short-term marketing tactics. By continuously optimizing the website and content, a cannabis dispensary can maintain and improve its search rankings, ensuring a steady flow of organic traffic.
10. Marijuana Blog Content Marketing
Why is blog content marketing an essential marijuana marketing idea?
Maintaining a blog and regularly publishing content on a dispensary website offers a host of benefits, including improved customer education, increased website traffic through SEO, enhanced customer engagement, and the opportunity to establish the dispensary as a reputable authority in the cannabis industry.
It’s a valuable tool for both retail cannabis stores and online dispensaries to attract and retain customers in a competitive market.
Here are the reasons blog content should be part of your dispensary SEO strategy:
1. Educating Customers:
- Blog content allows dispensaries to educate customers about various cannabis products, usage methods, and the potential benefits. By providing valuable information, dispensaries can help customers make informed decisions, increasing customer satisfaction.
2. Building Authority:
- Regularly publishing high-quality and informative content establishes the dispensary as an authority in the cannabis industry. This fosters trust among customers, making them more likely to choose the dispensary over competitors.
3. SEO and Website Traffic:
- Blog content provides opportunities to target relevant keywords and phrases, improving the dispensary’s search engine ranking. Higher rankings lead to increased organic traffic to the website, attracting potential customers.
4. Engaging Customers:
- Blog posts can be interactive and engaging, encouraging customer participation through comments and social media sharing. This interaction strengthens the dispensary’s relationship with its audience.
5. Showcasing New Products:
- Blogging allows dispensaries to showcase new product launches, providing detailed information and generating excitement among customers. It can also help in cross-selling and upselling products.
6. Addressing FAQs:
- Blog content can address frequently asked questions and concerns that customers may have. This saves time for dispensary staff while providing valuable information to a broader audience.
7. Local and Community Engagement:
- Retail cannabis stores can use blog content to promote local events, partnerships, and community initiatives. This fosters a sense of community and loyalty among local customers.
8. Shareable Content:
- Engaging and shareable blog posts can expand the dispensary’s reach as customers share the content with their networks, leading to potential new customers discovering the dispensary.
9. Compliance and Regulations:
- Blog content allows dispensaries to communicate information about cannabis responsibly, adhering to legal regulations and compliance standards.
10. Customer Retention and Loyalty:
- Regularly updating blog content keeps customers coming back to the website for new information and updates. This enhances customer loyalty and increases the likelihood of repeat purchases.
We Can Help You Develop & Execute The Best Marijuana Marketing Ideas For Your Business
We understand it may feel overwhelming to consider adding any of the 10 marijuana marketing ideas listed above into your current marketing strategy, but we can help you find the most effective marijuana marketing strategies for your unique business.
You don’t have to implement every one of these marketing ideas, but you absolutely should identify which marketing strategies will be most profitable for your business. That’s where we can help.
If you’re ready to get started, please contact us for a free consultation or to request a quote.
We’re Ready To Help You Grow!